August is a month of Friendship, people celebrate it in their own way, some go out for lunch on friendship day, some tie knots and bracelets, I dedicated this month for friends.. All the post are going to be guest posts, written by special people, about their interest or their work or anything they want to share with my adorable readers... you guys can still read me on my other blog.. Mugdha's Musings
This first post is by Medhavi Agrawal, very talented, I could see the hidden writer in her.. She was my schoolmate and we share some very special memories together.. 3 cheers for her first article... Now without any further delay let me present her post on DRUG ABUSE
Friends being a student of pharmacy I have read a lot about drugs. In my language drug is any chemical substance or product intended for use in the medical diagnosis, cure, treatment or prevention of disease. But this definition doesn’t end here. Apart from these ‘life saving drugs’ there are many drugs which can also be a reason for various disorders and even cause mortality.
We all have heard about drug addiction or drug abuse. It means habitual intake of addictive or illegal drugs. We had seen and heard about teenagers, youngsters and sports persons using these drugs. The drugs which these people use for addiction are narcotics, depressants, stimulants, hallucinogens, steroids. In Layman terms we call them as heroin, nicotine, cocaine, steroids, alcohol etc....
Let’s see why the poisonous tree of addiction is penetrating its roots in our society???
- Mostly teenagers and youth, first try drugs out of curiosity, to have a good time, because their friends are doing it. They think it as a status symbol and a sign of modernity. It’s all fun for them. The Gen X who born with a silver spoon in their mouth can be seen in rave parties drinking, smoking and taking drugs.
- Sportsperson use these drugs in an effort to improve athletic performance to win more and more medals and awards, to beat previous records and gain name & fame all over the world.
- These days’ youngsters are using steroids at a very larger rate to build their muscles in gyms but in long run these steroids show harmful effects.
- People who have low self-esteem or live a stressful lifestyle use addictive drugs to ease problems such as stress, anxiety or depression. Those who have gone through problems with relationships, such as fights with partner or family members, an unhappy boss, or the loss of friends.
- Some Parents who live a high social life, not able to give enough time to their kids, these kids then feel neglected and start intake of addictive drugs. Guardians are so busy in maintaining their luxurious lifestyle that they are unaware of what their children are doing.
- Children, youngsters who are victims of human trafficking are forced to take these drugs for fulfilling the bad motives.
- Youngsters see the superstars of entertainment industry as their idols and try to follow them. When they watch them drinking alcohol, smoking or taking drugs in movies they take it as a fashion statement and start using such substances.
But But But.... after prolong use it moves from casual to problematic. It cause very serious problems and change in behaviour like:
- Feeling that one have to use the drug regularly, the frequency can vary. It may be daily or even several times a day.
- Drug users who want to get rid of such addiction fail in attempts to stop using the drugs. To get the drugs they also get involve in unethical jobs.
- They spend more and more money on the drug, even though they can't afford it. Household items may disappear because they're being sold to support their drug habit.
- People start doing such things to obtain the drug that they normally wouldn't do or even can’t think of doing, such as stealing, fighting with their families and friends. They show various episodes of violence in their social behaviour.
- Youngsters and teenagers start missing their school and adults miss their work. They lack motivation and energy which show a decline phase in their performances.
- They not even care of their physical appearance because of loss of senses and no longer take part in social activities like meetings and parties.
So, we can say that drug addiction is increasing at an alarming rate and has become a critical social problem. It is effecting individual as well as society on a whole. It is a serious and complicated health condition that requires both physical and psychological treatment and support. It is important to be evaluated by a trained professional to determine the best care. Counsellors, family doctors and therapists are the best choice. Recovering from drug addiction is much easier when one have people they can lean on for encouragement, comfort, support and guidance. Family members and close friends play a very important role here.
I want to conclude on this note that the people who want to get rid of this habit should be treated as normal. Avoidance or rejection can worsen the condition to a large extent. They need extra love, care and support to live a normal and happy life again.
~ Medhavi Agrawal